
Rugby league Immortal Andrew Johns thinks the Roosters are in for a tough slog this season with a new-look line-up missing several stars.
The Roosters kick off the second part of Round 1 on Thursday night against the Broncos with ex-Cowboys veteran Chad Townsend and Sandon Smith their makeshift halves pairing.
Johns, in his Sydney Morning Herald column, said the Roosters have lost “world-class players” following the off-season exit of Joey Manu, Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Sitili Tupouniua, Luke Keary and Terrell May.
“They’re backing their young players to aim up,” he wrote.
“I wouldn’t say it’s a rebuilding phase so much, more of a transition to their next generation of players, which do have a lot of promise.
“But those long-term injuries to Sam Walker and Brandon Smith make things really tough. It was the last thing coach Trent Robinson needed, to lose two of his main playmakers while they’re in that transition phase with new combinations being worked out.”
Johns said the right-edge defensive combination of Townsend, rookie Robert Toia and Dominic Young was exposed badly by the Knights when they thrashed the Roosters in the trials and he expects Brisbane to target them at Allianz Stadium.
TV ratings boost for Vegas
The NRL is celebrating the switch to free-to-air TV in the United States for this year’s Las Vegas season opener with a massive increase in viewership.
After only 61,000 viewers tuned into Fox Sports for the opening foray into the US last year, the Raiders vs Warriors match last Sunday attracted more than 370,000 Americans to tune in after it was shown on free-to-air TV.
A further 29,000 watched via the NRL’s overseas viewing app in the States.
“The challenge for us is to keep the momentum going by educating, engaging and converting US fans throughout the 2025 season ahead of an even bigger 2026 Las Vegas event,” NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said.
There were 45,209 fans at Allegiant Stadium for the four-match schedule of games but there were tens of thousands of empty seats at the 65,000-seat venue after many fans left during the Jillaroos’ massacre of England.
By the time Penrith and Cronulla locked horns in the final match, the stadium was more than half empty and the NRL has indicated the schedule will be cut to three games next year with the women’s Test likely to get the axe.
Daine Laurie celebrates with teammates after scoring. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
Nanai tackles new challenge
North Queensland try-scoring maestro Jeremiah Nanai has his sights on becoming a better defensive weapon this year as he prepares for a new role in the pack.
Nanai, with 37 tries in just 63 NRL games, will move from his favoured right edge back-row position to the left alongside co-captain Tom Dearden when the Cowboys play Manly away on Saturday.
The 22-year-old Queensland star scored 13 tries last year and made seven line breaks, a sterling return for a forward. His tackle efficiency was 89.95 per cent, a career high.
That is still a high number for an attacking style of forward but Penrith premiership-winning back-rower Liam Martin had his tackle efficiency up over 93 per cent last year. It is where Nanai would like to get to.
“I have worked a lot on my defensive moments. If I can get (that) right I will feel good out there,” Nanai said.
That will be music to the ears of Cowboys coach Todd Payten, who wants his side to have more defensive resilience like the Panthers and Melbourne.
Maroons coach Billy Slater will also be impressed.
When Nanai missed the opening game of the State of Origin series in 2023 through suspension, he got a call from Slater to say he was still in the picture for the following match at Suncorp Stadium.
Jeremiah Nanai. (Photo by Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images)
But he encouraged him to work on his defence. Nanai and Slater had a half-hour tutorial on a laptop ahead of game two on defensive subtleties.
Nanai had a blinder in that department in a 32-6 win and said afterwards “there was a lot of detail to it but when I was playing it kept coming back into my head”.
Payten has moved Nanai to play alongside Australian playmaker Dearden with new recruit John Bateman on the right edge.
“It is a bit different to adjust on the left side defensively but I am fairly excited to play alongside Tommy,” Nanai said.
“Tommy is one of the best five-eighths in the game so if I can get that combination going with Tommy I think we will go a long way.”
Nanai said he was confident he would be just as potent in the air off Dearden kicks as he was with his trademark tries off Chad Townsend bombs in 2024.
Nanai has also recovered well from a syndesmosis injury he suffered playing for Samoa in the Test series against England last year. His shoulder issues of 2023 are also behind him.
“I am fully healthy now,” he said
“My shoulders are healthy and my body is feeling good this year and I am excited to get back on the field.”
The Roarhttps://https://ift.tt/S0qiTp5 News: Joey roasts Roosters rebuild chances, free-to-air Vegas ratings boost, Nanai mounts defensive mindset
Post a Comment