Olympic girlfriend joke backfires on GWS defender: ‘Tongue in cheek comment taken out of context’


https://ift.tt/lNmOrAw RoarJuly 31, 2024 at 12:08AM

GWS defender Jack Buckley will nervously cheer on girlfriend Celeste Mucci’s Olympics dream from back in Sydney, saying a joke on radio got taken out of context.

The 26-year-old has put any lingering speculation to bed, declaring he will line up for the Giants a few days after Mucci makes her Olympic debut in Paris.

After Buckley did an interview earlier in July, the public narrative became how he was tossing up whether to miss GWS’s crucial match against the Brisbane Lions to head to France instead.

GWS coach Adam Kingsley and the entire club are completely behind Mucci’s bid for gold in the 100m hurdles.

But Buckley was happy to make it clear he would be heading to the Gabba to help the Giants tame the red-hot Lions on August 10.

“It all just came from a sort of tongue-in-cheek comment on (radio station) Triple M that got taken a bit out of context,” Buckley told AAP.

“‘Kingers’ (Kingsley) has been an incredible support, really invested in Celeste’s journey.

“I never asked him because my job’s to play footy and help the team get in the best position for finals – and Celeste gets that more than anyone. 

“I’ll never ask so I’m not going!”

Mucci, who finished seventh in the 100m hurdles final at the 2022 Commonwealth Games, is one of three Australians – along with Michelle Jenneke and Liz Clay – to take part in the heats on August 7.

“I’m just so proud of her and so proud of what she’s achieved,” Buckley said.

“I just can’t wait to watch her, albeit on TV.

“I’ll probably watch it with the family.

“But I’m already nervous, mate. 

“I kind of just want to watch it by myself in a quiet room and wallow in my own nerves. 

“But I don’t think I’ll be able to get that over the line … I’ll be watching with the family, dressed in green and gold and cheering hard.

“But I’ll be a nervous wreck.”

Kingsley addressed the story earlier in July.

“(It’s) becoming a little bit of a story and what people fail to do is ask Jack (Buckley) what he wants to do,” Kingsley joked.

Newshttps://https://ift.tt/qWkMGuZ girlfriend joke backfires on GWS defender: ‘Tongue in cheek comment taken out of context’

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post